365 Poems in 365 Days: Where Ideas Come From

As I cross off items on my poem idea list
The number of things rejected or missed
Increase until the column completely lack inspiration
(It’s taken two weeks to bring this one to completion)

So I keep a list of ideas for poems. Good ideas easy to write disappear off it the next time I sit down with a pen. Good ideas difficult to write get scribbled about until I finally drag something together. Actively bad ideas I cross out, usually the next day. Mediocre ideas hang about until I decide I will make the damn thing work, but this means that as time goes on more and more mediocre ideas sit on that list and I stare at it and say "Accountant? Pantun about failure? Pork and Apple burgers? What am I supposed to do with these?" Number 198.

Comments

Popular Posts