Mincemeat

Today I've been making mincemeat! We use an old family recipe[1], which I've here made comprehensible by adding the bits that only our family understand without having them written down in red.

1/2 lb Brown Sugar
1/2 lb Currants
1/2 lb stoned raisins (in total 1 lb of currants, raisins and sultanas, in whatever proportion is in the cupboard, is what we use, and have done for as long as I can remember)
1/2 lb Bramley Apples, peeled and cored
2 lemons, grated rind, juice strained.
1/2 tsp mixed spice
6 oz suet
6 oz mixed peel
2 oz Blanched Almonds
Plonk to moisten (I used approx 1/2 wineglass each of rum and brandy. The plonk isn't in the original list of ingredients, but appears at the end of the recipe)

Mince: Raisins, peel, almonds, apples. Mix with rest.
Add plonk to moisten.

Here the original recipe ends. For completeness, seal in a big jar with greaseproof paper and a rubber band and leave to improve for a week or two.



[1] "I think this was my Mum's, as it's not too sweet," says my Mum. Oddly enough, it isn't too sweet.

Popular Posts