Bargaining Tools

One year ago today, I posted this story on my Patreon site for patrons only. Now it is available for all.

****

Bargaining Tools

“Phased Integral Gun,” said the crow-man. “P. I. G.” He pronounced each letter individually, as though they had physical weight.

If so they were the only things. In the microgravity spoke of the wheel-station Tommy Gunn felt comfortable. The last time he had been re-bodied there had been a fluid systems improvement and the anti-nausea adjustments seemed to have taken.

So he was able to enjoy the slow circular movement of the pods and craft outside the window, and float at his ease near the side of the grey painted chamber off the side of the counter-rotating docking apparatus.

“I’d like to see more,” he said, looking at the undistinguished crates that were stuck to the wall, only the black machine-readable labels differentiating them from any other cargo.

The crow-man nodded his head, feathers shaking from the crown. “These are the babies you need if you face mathematical entities. They are immune to all physical attacks – they barely interface with the sidereal universe.”

“Algorithmic Paradox Functions...” began Gunn, but he was cut off.

“Al-Par-Fu is all very well. But you need to keep your mental equations in shape. Who has time for all that practice? No, you need weaponised Phased Integrals.”

“Can I look inside the box?” asked Gunn.

“What? No. Hey where are you going? Look, this is a really good deal, you don’t want to be defenceless when some sentient theorem disproves your sufficient necessity...”

“Look friend, I’m not a novice. This is not my first trip out from the solar system. You can’t pull the wool over my eyes.” Gunn stopped at the hatch. “It’s like my Mum always told me. Never buy a P.I.G. in a spoke.”

****

Sorry about that. If you subscribe to my Patreon you can get things like this out of the way much quicker as they will be available 12 months earlier.

This is the shortest tale about Tommy "Ray" Gunn of the Deep Patrol; an entire volume of his adventures can be acquired for Amazon Kindle and Paperback, and also for other e-readers using Smashwords and other sites.

Comments

Popular Posts