The Convoluted Adventure of the Vengeful Yankee Financier Now On Sale

You can now buy my Edwardian comedy crime novel, The Convoluted Adventure of the Vengeful Yankee Financier at the following places:

Amazon UK for Kindle
Amazon UK Paperback
Smashwords for other ebook formats

If you are still unsure, here is an excerpt in which Erasmus Cutangle, the Spirit-Seeker, explains some of his methods.

****

The impromptu tea party began to break up. Cutangle invited Schneemann to join him in the upper room. Miss Stoke gulped down her tea and joined them, with Miss Amy making a final addition to the party. In the meantime Mr Bulge left. “Calls of the office I’m afraid,” he said. “But Gus can take care of my interests.”

At the top of the stairs the workmen had carefully removed the large picture window from its frame and were now swinging in the packing cases through the open space. “Much more efficient,” declared Cutangle.

“Safer too,” said Schneemann, pointing out the device that prevented the load from falling.

“Well done Miss Stoke,” said Cutangle. She was about to offer the credit for the idea to Schneemann but he continued. “Although if you had thought of this at the start we might have avoided all sorts of confusion.”

He refused all offers of assistance in unpacking. “I had better use my own hands for this, as I wish to set things up as I shall need them.” He then directed Miss Stoke to lift the heavy camera from its case. “Place it by the door, towards the window. I shall take the cap off when it is full dark.”

“I recognise the thermometer and the barometer,” said Schneemann. “And that appears to be a vacuum tube.”

“Just so,” smiled Cutangle. “That is part of my suite of electromagnetic instruments.”

“Is this a bearskin rug?” asked Miss Amy, seeing Miss Stoke struggle with a large, dark and hairy mass. “I suppose that would be useful if you become chilled.”

“In fact the hairs are very sensitive; when brushed they can detect the passage of things invisible to the eye.”

“I see.”

Cutangle continued his preparations. “I understand that you have had some damage done by the ghost.”

“A little,” Miss Amy explained, “It has torn curtains, broken dishes and a water jug. Oh and thrown a chair out the door. But it – she – hasn’t hurt anyone.”

“Best to be prepared,” said Cutangle. “No don’t tell me anything else. I do not wish to take any preconceptions into the room tonight other than those necessary to protect myself.”

“How will you protect yourself?” asked Schneemann.

He was shown a bucket and some chalk. “I shall draw a circle of water and a circle in chalk. Within I shall draw a hexagram, placing certain defences at the points and valleys.” He held up a hand. “It is not a secret, but I have not yet decided exactly what I will use as defences. Probably water from the sea, unless there is a well or pump on the premises. Something that grows in the garden, or stones from the drive. Whatever seems most appropriate. Scientific work on spectral phenomena is still in its infancy. More an art than a science I am sad to say.”

“I am curious about your hexagram, the six pointed star. I had heard that practitioners of magic have a preference for the five-sided pentacle.”

“You can read about it,” said Miss Amy. They all turned to look. She licked her lips nervously. “In books. From the library.”

Cutangle rubbed his hands. “Just so. Many texts do discuss the five-sided shape which resonates with the four elements and the final realm of the spirit. Some more theologically minded colleagues link it to the Pentateuch. Yet my experiments clearly show that the hexagram has all the virtues of the pentagram, with the added virtue of being constructed from two triangles. If one point or vale of a pentagram should fail or be incorrectly drawn, the whole structure is at risk. Here, only one of the component triangles will be damaged, hopefully leaving the other to protect the user.”

Schneemann rubbed his chin. He would need a shave before this evening or by midnight he would look like dissolute lout, which would never do. He might scare off any ghost that wished to make an appearance. “Does this relate to the Seal of Solomon? That is supposed to have power over spirits.”

“Yes, yes.” Cutangle dismissed the reference. “Every conceivable shape has been used by one people or another. The six pointed star is everywhere.”

Miss Stoke intervened. “It is used by Hindoos in India as well, and in the Kabballah. The Theosophists use the symbol.”

“Bah,” said Cutangle.

Miss Amy had found a diagram and was inspecting it closely. “I do believe I have seen this mark before. On our grandfather’s sword. How curious!”

“Of course,” said Miss Stoke, coming to stand next to her. “It is the traditional sign of a sword made in Damascus. The tradition continues with military swords, even if they are not from those famed swordsmiths.”

Miss Amy turned to look her in the eye, interest flaring on her face. “There are stories of apparitions who are banished by cold iron, or a sword stroke. Could it be the star that is the effectual element?”

“This is all idle speculation Miss Straight.” Cutangle seemed determined to retake control of the conversation. “My own contribution is the addition of the scientific method. The ancients hoped that their circles and sigils would protect them from the uncanny. I have tested them.” He gave a modest cough. “Although I have found the hexagram, especially one designed to use the aether to enhance its power, a useful defence against dangerous spectral phenomena, I have yet to try to dismiss a spirit with it.”

“I should hope so.” Miss Amy was dragged back to the specific case before them. “It would be the height of inhospitality to drive this lost soul from her home.”

Cutangle frowned. “I hardly think so. A deceased person has no right to their former dwelling and if they are a danger or perhaps even an inconvenience to the current inhabitants...”

He was interrupted. “Nonsense Mr Cutangle. This was her home first. Clearly she should be allowed to stay here as long as she wishes.”

Schneemann took his turn. “From my own researches it appears that both English law and good manners are silent as to the duties of a homeowner toward any spirits dwelling within.” He held up his hand to forestall the disagreements on both sides. “Nevertheless it seems to me that an investigation into the phenomena is warranted. Mr Cutangle and Miss Stoke are equipped to look at the aetherical and I can use my own earthly skills to establish the bone fides of the spectre.” At Miss Amy’s puzzlement he explained. “Before any decision can be made, we must confirm the nature of the apparition. Is it indeed a former inhabitant of this house, or is it an interloper of some sort, invading your home?”

****

Comments

Popular Posts