The Secret Origin of Dr Perky

This piece of flash fiction was the patron reward for February 2018; as twelve months have gone by I am now releasing it from behind the paywall. It refers to Dr Perky's Refreshing Beverage, a drink invented for the space opera serial that was the major work of my 2018 Patreon campaign.

****

The Secret Origin of Dr Perky

Dr Perky adjusted his top hat. “The worst part of selling the drink to BevCo is that everyone who knows me thinks I’m a sellout, while everyone who doesn’t thinks I was made up by the marketing department.”

“Uh huh,” said the barman, placing a new bowl of pretzels on the bar. He glared at Reliable, the dog-headed former car-mechanic, who immediately grabbed a handful. He growled back and took a gulp from his bowl.

“No one respects my work on formulating a drink that is scientifically designed to be 75% more refreshing than the competitors,” he complained to the cleavage of Madam Sultry, the eyeliner magnate (retired). “When people see me in the street they assume I am some college kid dressed up as a mascot and yell things at me. Horrible things.” He shuddered.

“You could dress less... distinctively,” said Herlock, who had franchised his network of private investigation firms. To emphasize his point he put down his meerschaum pipe, lifted the brow of his cap and peered at Dr Perky through a magnifying glass.

Dr Perky gave him a look of disdain and signalled the barman. “The same again?” he asked. Dr Perky looked expectantly and the barman stifled a sigh. “Another Dr Perky’s Refreshing Beverage Dr Perky?”

“Why thank you. Yes, yes I would.”

****

This story was supported by my Patreon, which you can subscribe to at the link.

Comments

Popular Posts