On Thursday night I was at a supper party. The host had modestly downplayed her efforts and I said in email "I'm not expecting a seven course meal with each course thematically linked to the music playing."
But what if I were? Initially I was thinking of something a bit posh, maybe something like Holst's The Planets:
Mars, the Bringer of War - Thai Red Curry
Venus, the Bringer of Peace - Asparagus and Oysters
Mercury, the Winged Messenger - Quail
Jupiter, the Bringer of Jollity - Rumtopf
Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age - (Still thinking on this. I can't get past the fact that Saturn ate his own children, which doesn't help when planning a dinner party)
Uranus, the Magician - It's either testicles or another bird (Look, he's a primal deity of the sky; I can't help it that his testicles feature heavily in the myths)
Neptune, the Mystic - Fish Course!
You can see how hard it gets. But I've got another themed one, and here's the Youtube Playlist:
1. Salted Peanuts - Salted peanuts, Dizzy Gillespie.
Just nibbles to start.
2. Frog's Legs - We All Stand Together (The Frog Song), Paul McCartney.
You can buy big tins of frogs legs in France (I assume you can get them in specialist shops elsewhere, but living in East Kent, it's not really worth my while to look it out)
3. Lobster - Rock Lobster, The B52s.
4. Jambalaya - Jambalaya, Hank Williams.
5. Hotdogs, Mashed Potatoes, Green Onions and Ketchup - Mickey Mouse Clubhouse Hotdog Song; Mashed Potato Time, Dee Dee Sharp; Green Onions, Booker T and the MGs; The Ketchup Song, Las Ketchup.
I note that most of my courses are taking about 3 minutes, so the main course is a bit less hurried.
6. Peaches and Black Cherries in a Brown Sugar and Whisky Sauce - Peaches, The Presidents of the United States of America; Black Cherry, Goldfrapp; Brown Sugar, Rolling Stones; Whisky in the Jar, Metallica.
Again, time to enjoy this course. The Metallica version of Whisky in the Jar is here, as the video is how I imagine the party will be.
7. Coffee - Black Coffee, Nana Mouskouri .
But I'm sure you can do better (Honestly, it's not hard). If you have an idea of thematically linked food and music, why not entertain us in comments? If it entertains me enough, I may try your suggestion one day.