365 Poems in 365 Days: I Read Books: The Lost Fleet: Beyond The Frontier: Guardian

I read Jack Campbell's* novel Guardian and intended to review it to go with the reviews for the other books in the series. Since I am slightly behind in my poetry project I decided to review it as an acrostic. It... didn't work out quite as I expected for number 79.



Going into this, book 3** of the series, I was
Understandably hopeful that Campbell would
Address the theme I find most interesting;
Returning from the war, how can Geary
Defend the Alliance from the forces threatening
It from inside? Also, having won the war
Against the Syndics, can he now win the peace?
Not to mention, will there be space battles going on as well?


* aka John G Hemry

** Or 9 or 10 or 11***. Let me explain. Once upon a time there was a six book series called The Lost Fleet. Then there is a sequel series called, in order not to confuse my tiny mind, The Lost Fleet: Beyond The Frontier, of which this is the 3rd. So 3 or 9.

However there is a parallel sequel series called The Lost Stars (to make sure that I know the series are related). The first of these, The Tarnished Knight is set between (and during) book 1 and 2 of The Lost Fleet: Beyond The Frontier (although it was published between book 2 and 3. I would suggest reading it between Dreadnaught and Invincible). Hence Guardian would be book 10 of the complete published books.

But there is one more complication. It is clear from the events in Guardian that something has been going on in the background. That something is related to characters in The Lost Stars. So Lost Stars 2, Perilous Shield (publication date October 2013) may occur before, during or after Guardian. I suspect it will fit between Beyond the Frontier: Invincible and Guardian, which will retroactively make Guardian number 11 in the grand combined series.

*** 4 or 5 are possible, but silly.

Comments

Popular Posts