I Cook Food: Spicy Pot Roast Pheasant

So I discovered the parents defrosting a pheasant; a pheasant that had been labelled "POT", indicating that due to age condition and (presumed) toughness it should be used in a casserole, or, perhaps, be pot roasted.

"Would you like to pot roast it?" asks my Mum, knowing that I have pot roasting form.
"Sure," says I.
"You could use up that chili while you're at it," my Dad suggests.
"...and maybe finish up this open tin of coconut milk, and some of this ginger," I say poking my head in the fridge.
"Would some sort of curry work better?" asks Mum.
"No; spicy pot roast is the dish I was born to make," I said. And so:

Spicy Pot Roast Pheasant (serves 3)

1 medium-sized pheasant
1 piece of ginger as big as my thumb, peeled and sliced
1 red chili
half a tin of coconut milk
Some Thai 7 spice powder
4 potatoes sliced
2 onions roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic cut into 3
2 carrots roughly chopped
1 stalk celery roughly chopped
half a chicken stock cube
water
some butter
some vegetable oil

Season the bird with salt and pepper. Preheat the oven to 190C. Heat a knob of butter and some oil in a casserole. Brown the pheasant on all sides. Take the pheasant out and put it to one side.

Throw the chili, garlic and onion into the casserole and sprinkle with Thai spice powder. Cook until the onion starts to soften, then add the celery and carrot and sweat for a bit longer. Introduce the potato slices to the vegetable mixture[1], stir, then add stock cube, coconut milk and water to not quite cover the vegetables. Put the bird on top, cover and put in the oven for about an hour.

Check the pheasant is cooked. Pull it out, carve it up, then serve with the big pot of vegetables.

[1] "Potatoes, this is the spicy vegetable mixture. Spicy vegetables, these are the potato slices. Fire in the hole!" [Dives for cover]

Comments

Popular Posts