I Read Stories: The Future We Wanted

The Future We Wanted by Leigh Alexander

I read Leigh Alexander’s story The Soft Truth and didn’t quite get it, and that was fine because there was a core of weirdness that wasn’t able to be compressed down to be got. Now I’ve read The Future We Wanted and I don’t quite get it and I think there’s something to get that I’m missing.

Polly lives in a not-quite-now near-future, is a working Mum, gets a robot to help about the house, and keeps remembering Jane her childhood friend and the crystal animals that let her see into the future or maybe other worlds. It is weird and slightly sad and full of heart. I think I’m missing something. That’s okay. I like it anyway.

Read This: For a really excellent story about living in the future
Don’t Read This: If you love robots unambiguously

Comments

Popular Posts