I Read Stories: The Sycamore And The Sibyl by Alix E Harrow


The Sycamore And The Sibyl
by Alix E Harrow in Uncanny

“Before I was a sycamore I was a woman, and before I was a woman I was a girl, and before I was a girl I was a wet seed wild in the hot-pulp belly of my mother.”

There is a tree who was once a woman and this magic was a form of escape from abuse, another choice than to throw herself in the creek. The tree might offer the magic to another woman who walks there, who has a wolf-in-human-form hunting her. Or she might not, because ultimately the transformation to a tree is just another victory for the abuser.

She has an owl who lives in her and the magic isn’t done yet.

Read This: A magical look into abuse and escape
Don’t Read This: Too much fictional abuse is not good for you

Comments

Popular Posts