I Read Stories: Glass Houses by Brandon Barrows

 

Glass Houses by Brandon Barrows in Tough

Many years ago, while off my tits at a house party I walked into a glass patio door. I don’t actually recall denying it afterwards but multiple witnesses both saw me do it and heard me deny it. I left a mark where my forehead had met glass, and being nearly 2m tall it could hardly have been anyone else.

Pete’s having an affair with Marie. She’s been married to Al for nine years now, and he treats her like property. She’s getting tired of it.

If she divorces him, she gets nothing. If he divorces her she would at least get alimony.

If he dies, well, some of his estate goes to his sister. But most of it will go to her.

There are glass doors between the lounge and the pool. While drunk Al has been known to walk into them. Usually there are textured films put on them to prevent Al, or anyone else, walking into them. Christopher, the houseman has taken them off to clean the doors, sparkling, transparently clean.

Read This: A well-observed crime story of murder for money
Don’t Read This: The way glass doors, pools and the twist operate in the story are all too much

Comments

Popular Posts