My plans for my Patreon for 2020

I have a Patreon account where you can subscribe to support the stuff I produce, and also get bonus exclusive things. The more people who subscribe the more stuff I'm likely to produce.

My plans for what goes on the Patreon for 2020:

1. Twelve monthly crime stories featuring my detective Lacey Lee, who has previously appeared in some poems. My hazy idea was that she could investigate all sorts of crimes (and other mysteries) in different genres, one month a cosy mystery, next a police procedural, a heist, a cold case, fraud, haunted house etc. I intend to keep it on the light-hearted side though that doesn’t mean we might not see a serial killer or noir story. These will be free to read.

1a. Going to keep on making covers and writing liner notes about the stories.

2. Flash fiction postcards for $5 subscribers. ($2 subscribers get the same flash fiction electronically). I say flash fiction, what I mean is something that can fit on a postcard (200-300 words), and is probably fiction, but in the last two years there’s been a few non-fiction pieces and I see no reason to change. Currently they are patreon exclusive for 12 months after which I release them into the wild for everyone; you can read previous ones amongst the entries on this page.

3. Monster of the Week. After making a page of monsters for Spookzine For Kids!, I’m going to create a monster every week. Very silly, some may have a bit of grit or edge, I don’t know, I’m just getting started creating them. First one due tomorrow, December 3rd.

4. Subscribers are likely to get weird nonsense at other times; this year I made Mardi Grass, my Pancake Day zine as well as Spookzine and Spookzine For Kids! for Halloween.  Non-subscribers may be able to get these to.

5. The lowest subscriber level will be $2 as $1 gets most of it eaten up in fees before I ever see it. If you’re currently on the $1 level (or manage to subscribe before I update) you get to stay there.

6. I intend to continue posting regularly on this blog, with much the same mix as currently - mostly reviews of films, books and stories, with occasional recipes and personal essays. 

What’s not happening:

I had intended a thirteen part superhero story, and made plans, characters, sketched out logos etc. I have first drafts of several episodes, and an arc designed to tackle the rest of the story.

I intended it to be light-hearted but what killed it was the villain plots. Because my heroes were vigilantes, technically illegal, morally dubious in their use of violence and property destruction, I made the bad guys nastier. And when the technology of the guy using dead bodies to make undead henchmen gets loose, those who use it don’t raid morgues, they go out and make their own dead people.

Cue some one-liners and witty banter from our heroes.

Anyway, maybe I’ll come back to it and make it gritty and blackly humorous, or lighten it up. But not right now! Because of this Lacey Lee, Detective Extraordinary, is not yet complete, I have no series long arc set up, it’s episodic, resetting after each story. A bit of fun with crime and detection.

Or at least that’s the plan.

The first of twelve Lacey Lee stories will begin on 1st January 2020.

Comments

Popular Posts