I Watch Movies: Spider-Man: Homecoming

The Spider-Man And His Amazing Friends cartoon may have been the first superhero thing I ever got into back when I was a tiny child. And I don’t know if it holds up. I remember a lot of web swinging across the city, some jokes, the fire lady and the ice dude (fire, ice and spiders? Does that work thematically?) and that’s about it.

Then we had Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2 and they were good films, a bit over dramatic but fine.
And Spider-Man 3 which I saw in the cinema and regret. And then The Amazing Spider-Man which I didn’t see in the cinema, nor The Amazing Spider-Man 2. I didn’t like them.

Spider-Man and me we have a history, a history that I thought was over.

Anyway, this is pretty good, the Marvel movie as comedy (in the same way that Winter Soldier is Marvel movie as conspiracy thriller.) Spider-Man screws up several times, then has to scramble to fix things (this to a greater or less extent runs through all the Marvel films, more so than most action, thriller, or even superhero movies. Ant-Man – a heist that goes wrong – is perhaps the most obvious, though Thor can’t get anything right and the Guardians of the Galaxy are completely dysfunctional as a team.) Perhaps the best gag is when he tries to swing, but finds himself on a golf course and has to run.

It’s a bit small scale, keeping things on the level of gangs and boroughs of New York, not getting into world ending threats. Which makes sense for a kid still in school, trying to figure this stuff out. And even small scale superhero can get quite big.

Watch This: For a Spider-Man film that doesn’t suck.
Don’t Watch This: If you don’t want to see a kid dressed like a spider fight an old man dressed like a vulture, or if the idea of Robert Downey Jr spending five minutes in the 50s screwball comedy he was born to act in makes you sick.
Incidentally, this poster is terrible

Comments

Popular Posts